Candice Price, Founder & CEO of Urban American Productions, LLC
Candice Price is an award-winning media pioneer and change agent who has led the way in defining, showcasing, and advocating for true diversity in the outdoor sports and lifestyle industry. As the Founder and CEO of Urban American Productions – the company behind Emmy nominated TV show, Urban American Outdoors with Wayne Hubbard – Candice’s vision and passion for engaging minorities in the outdoors through live events and original content in the television and new media spectrums is unmatched.
Price was born in Topeka, Kansas, but raised in Kansas City, Missouri by her parents, Roberta and Carl Price, Sr. Growing up in a family that hosted legendary artists like Hattie McDaniel and Langston Hughes, Candice developed a passion for the arts; and upon graduating high school, she toured the world with several bands as a professional singer.
After several successful years of touring, Candice returned to Kansas City and obtained her bachelor’s degree in communications from the University of Missouri – Kansas City. She then launched her broadcast media career as a member of the master control team at KSHB-TV 41, a NBC-affiliated television station. Her professional experience in television production became the foundation for what would become Urban American Productions, LLC.
In 1999, Candice Price became the first African-American woman to executive produce an outdoor sports reality television show – Urban American Outdoors (UAO). Hosted by an African-American outdoorsman, Wayne Hubbard, UAO was created to dispel the myth that black people are not nature enthusiasts. By broadcasting motion picture images showing people of various ethnic backgrounds hunting and fishing together—a concept never seen before on US broadcast television—Candice Price and Wayne Hubbard struck a chord with viewers and earned their first syndication deal for UAO TV show in fall 2003. Since that time, Urban American Outdoors has received more than 70 awards recognitions
The success of Urban American Outdoors has led to a host of other programs, including:
- Urban Soul Wild – a cooking show, also executive produced by Price and hosted by Hubbard.
- Sportsman Feeding the Hungry – a program through which Price and Hubbard donate to food pantries, woman’s battered shelters, churches and families in need.
- Urban Kids Fish – the only national fishing derby event for inner-city youth recognized by US Fish & Wildlife, US Forest Service, and National Park Service.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
The success of Urban American Outdoors has earned Candice Price a number of prestigious awards and recognitions including:
- the Sports Emmy® Award
- the Emmy® Awards
- the Gracie Awards
- the Telly Awards,
- the National Black Journalists Awards
- the MIDI Cable Award
- federal appointment by US Secretary of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack
- the White House Champions of Change
- the Memorial Monument To Freedom, Justice and Courage (Kansas City, Missouri)
- Grandfather: Dr. C.R. Price – the first black dentist in Kansas
- Father: Carl Price, Sr. – one of the first black radio DJ’s in the U.S.
- Parents: Carl Price, Sr. & Roberta Price – owned the first black newspaper in Kansas, “The News Nugget”
- Uncle: William “Bill” Price – a sparring partner of boxing champion, Joe Louis aka “The Brown Bomber”
- Godfather: Wesley Smith – attorney and personal law clerk to Thurgood Marshall during Brown v. Board of Education
Candice has a BA degree in Communications from the University of Missouri – Kansas City, as well as a degree in music from the Conservatory of Music. She worked in television for over a decade and other multimedia jobs over the years before starting her own business. She has her MBE, WBE certification and has been a Hunter Ed Certified Instructor as well as Instructor of Outdoor Safety.
One thought on “Candice Price”